Southern Homeopathic Medical College
Baltimore, MD 1890
Southern Homeopathic Medical College was the first homeopathic medical college south of the Mason-Dixon Line and east of the Mississippi River.
For some years the advisability of establishing a college in Baltimore had been a debatable question with the bulk of the profession. However the growing South with all its possibilities and the progressive development in Baltimore, ended the debate about the need for such an institution.
The Southern Homeopathic College was founded in 1890, and was connected with the Maryland Hospital.
As a result of a controversy between the Maryland State Homoeopathic Medical Society and the Baltimore Homoeopathic Free Dispensary, on North Greene Street, the Society has resolved to establish another free dispensary and also a medical college.
The college was incorporated May 15th under the name of the Southern Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital of Baltimore
1. Medical Advance
"Editor's Table" Vol 25, No 5, 1890
2, The Homoeopathic Physician
1887, Vol. Vll, No. 2