Homeopathy in Russia
Homeopathy was introduced in 1823 by laymen. Shortly after, Dr. Adam (a prover of Carbo-v), who had studied with Hahnemann in Germany, began practice in St. Petersburg. Dr. Bigel was practicing in St. Petersburg in 1827, and then removed to Warsaw.
Generally, only medical doctors were allowed to practice, but "the laity took it upon themselves to be instructed." In about 1828, a nobleman, Iseman Korsakoff, learned of homeopathy and began the practice. It was he who suggested to Hahnemann the possibility of using a single vial for making remedies.
Alexander Peterson established a homeopathic pharmacy in Pensa in 1831. The first Organon in Russian was translated by Wrassky in 1835. The development of homeopathy in Russian was patronized by the Tsar's family. Homeopathy was often practiced by the village priest.
After the communist revolution in 1917, homeopathy was suppressed. In order to save homeopathy in Russia, homeopaths were forced to recognize the material doctrine and to refuse the spiritual basis. Homeopathy did have its adherents but they were not state-supported. Most of the homeopathic prescribing was developed from Hughes' work and tended to be "clinical" in nature.
In 1992 homeopathy was officially allowed as a treatment method and clinical homeopathy was being taught for medical students of allopathic schools. There are several hundred homeopaths practicing. The country is represented in the LMHI.