Homeopathy in Portugal
In 1836, Dr. Florencio Galvao "taught his pupils discreetly." The first free clinic opened in 1852, and the first journal, Gazeta Homoeopathica Portuense, was published in 1853.
In 1911 there were about 30 practitioners, in 1931 there were nine. The Portuguese Society of Homeopathy (SPH), has 18 registered MDs. There are many non-MDs using homeopathy, but most are self-trained, and only a few call themselves practitioners.
Neither MDs nor non-MDs are recognized by the Portuguese Medical Association, which does not recognize homeopathy, however MDs are allowed to prescribe whatever they want. The Government has no laws about the legality of homeopathic practice. There are two homeopathic organizations: the SPH in Lisbon and the SPMH in Oporto. Both only accept MDs. There are no existing journals.