Homeopathy in Malaysia

Homeopathy in Malaysia

Homeopathy came to Malaysia during World War II, brought by the Indians through the British Army.

The first Malay introduced to homeopathy was Dr Burhanuddin Al Hilmi in the mid-1950s. Among the oldest practitioners is Dr. Mohamed Yaakob, who is in Johore Bahru. A study group was started by Al Hilmi in 1954 with 12 students. After Malaysian independence, Al Hilmi established the Persatuan Perubatan Homeopathy Malaysia (Homeopathic Medical Association of Malaysia) which became "official" in July 1961.

Dr Nik Omar studied in Pakistan for five years and returned in 1977. In 1979 he started the Faculty of Homeopatyy in Malaysia with 7 students. Today the school, which conducts both full-time and distance learning, has about 1,000 students from Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines.

In 1984 Dr Omar started a homeopathic organization called The Registered Malaysian Homeopathic Medical Practitioners Association, although the actual register does not (as of this writing) exist, as standards have not been established.

At present there is no legislation governing homeopathy, but the Government and health ministry are receptive to all forms of alternative health, so this may change in the future. Because of the lack of legislation, the standard of homeopathy practiced is variable. A few MDs are involved in homeopathy.

There is a great deal of influence from India and a number of practitioners have trained there. The Registered Malaysian Homeopathic Medical Practitioners has 500 members in Malaysia. There are about 100 full-time practitioners throughout the country and 500 part-time practitioners, although some of these diagnose using a pendulum and other radionics methods.

There is one homeopathic journal, the Homeopathic Newsletter, published by The Malaysian Homeopathic Medical Practitioners Association, Johore Branch. The public is becoming better acquainted with homeopathy and many are requesting treatment. Homeopathy is popular in Kuala Lumpur and in Kota Bahru Kelantan.