Homeopathy in Ireland
Homeopathy was first introduced to Ireland by Dr. Charles W. Luther in 1839. Dr. William Walter was instructing Dr. Joseph Kidd in Dublin in 1842. Kidd later had great success with homeopathy in the Irish potato famine of the 1840s, and later became the physician to Benjamin Disraeli. Another important homeopath in Ireland was Dr. Michael Greene of Ennis, near Galway, who was the first to use Crataegus (Hawthorn).
The first English translation of the Organon was done by Devrient and edited by Samuel Stratten in Dublin in 1833. The Irish Homeopathic Society was founded on April 10, 1845. A book published in 1848 lists 40 members of the Committee of the IHS and three medical attendants of the Homeopathic Institution: Drs. C. W. Luther, G. A. Luther, and W. Walter.
In the 1895 Homeopathic Medical Directory we find two homeopaths in Ireland. By 1930 the number rose to four. The Irish Society of homeopaths was formed in 1990 to represent the professional homeopaths in Ireland. In the mid-1990s there were almost 30 physicians using homeopathy in Ireland, 89 professional homeopaths on the Society Register, and an unknown number of lay prescribers.