State University of Iowa
(c.1877 - 1920)
The Northwestern Annalist: A Quarterly Magazine Devoted to Homoeopathy and Kindred Sciences was issued only four times, October of 1876 and January, April, July of 1877.
It was devoted to the fight for the introduction of a Homoeopathic Department into the State University of Iowa.
Its work succeeded and the College of Homoeopathic Medicine was established and made a part of the State University of Iowa by a special act of the Legislature in 1877.
The act provided for two chairs, the chair of Materia Medica and the chair of Practice. It soon became evident to those in authority that to give a full and complete course in medicine - such as was being required by the medical examining boards in the different states - it would be necessary to provide other branches to make a complete college.
The Board of Regents therefore established the chairs of Surgery, Eye and Ear, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and provided the necessary equipment and competent professors to conduct these departments.
The Board of Education abolished the three chairs established by the Board of Regents, on the plea of economy and duplication of work as given in the other college of medicine, claiming that surgery, eye and ear work, obstetrics and gynecology are the same in all their details in the two schools of medicine.
The College of Homoeopathic Medicine had drug proving as a part of its regular curriculum. The Drug Proving Committee of the American Institute of Homoeopathy depended on the Iowa College for a part of their work.
One of the provings was of Magnesium phosphoricum, which was carried out by 8 students of the College of Homoeopathic Medicine, under the direction of Dr. B.R. Johnston.
The length of each yearly course was 6 months, commencing in September of each year. The number of courses requisite for graduation was 4. In1900 there were 60 students in attendance, 241 alumni, 15 faculty members, 21 lecturers, and 9 professors.
An excerpt from a College announcement:
"The course of instruction as heretofore published is, therefore, modified as follows: instruction in anatomy, physiology, chemistry, and medical jurisprudence will be given in the medical department, while all other instruction, both didactic and clinical, will be given by the faculty of the homoeopathic medical department."
In 1899 the College's Homoeopathic Hospital had 54 beds.
Number of patients treated-500; cured-388; relieved-93; not relieved-14; died-5.
During its 47 year existence the College had just two materia medica professors and three Deans (G. Royal, W. H. Dickinson, and C. Cogswell).
Information from Encyclopedia Homeopathica:
- 1. The Homoeopathic Physician, 1887, Vol. 7, #9 2. T.L. Bradford, Homoeopathic Bibliography of the United States
- 3. American Institute of Homoeopathy, 1900, 55th Session
- 4. American Institute of Homoeopathy, 1901, 57th Session
- 5. American Institute of Homoeopathy, 1910, 65th Session
- 6. Jay Yasgur, Homeopathic Dictionary