Medical Advance - Hahnemannian Advocate

A Homeopathic Journal with Five Names

This journal, published continuously from 1873 to 1915 had five different names:

The Advance began in March of 1873 as the Cincinnati Medical Advance, edited by T. P. Wilson. In 1882 the journal moved to Ann Arbor and became the Ann Arbor Medical Advance.

The following year it was published in Chicago after which it returned to Ann Arbor in 1884 under the editorship of Henry Clay Allen. In 1893 the journal was sold to H. W. Pierson who continued editing it until 1895 when H. C. Allen claimed ownership, forcing Pierson to relinquish his rights.

The mysterious disappearance of the publisher, Dr. John Rice Miner, gave Dr. Allen a chance to seize control, but Pierson continued publishing while pursuing litigation in the matter. The November issue of 1895 had a blank masthead, which in the December issue was replaced with the title of The Hahnemannian Advocate, remaining pretty much intact and carrying the same volume numbers.

The Advocate was published until the end of 1902. H. C. Allen began publishing The Advance again in 1901 continuing until his death in 1909. After that, his co-editor, J. B. S. King continued its publication until 1915.

In 1904, Kent's Journal of Homeopathics was merged with The Advance. Under Allen's adept editorship, the journal became even more "Hahnemannian" in its approach.

King, who had been an assistant editor under Dr. Allen, continued the "Hahnemannian" influence until the end. King himself was an advocate for pure homeopathy and had been the president of the International Hahnemannian Association in 1913.

In 1902, H. C. Allen stated that, "This journal is devoted entirely to the perpetuation and an aggressive struggle for pure homeopathy."

Inside the pages of this journal are contained the insights of Wells, Lippe, Fincke, Close, Kent, E. E. Case, Berridge, et al. Presented papers with discussions from "pure" societies such as the Lippe Society, the Organon Society, the Brooklyn Hahnemannian Union and the Central NY Society were notable features.

Another highlight was James Tyler Kent's illuminating classroom talks, lectures on the Organon and numerous materia medica lectures, differing from those published as his official Lectures on Homeopathic Materia Medica.

There are also many small repertories that were first published in The Advance. Along with The Organon Journal, The Homeopathic Physician and The Homeopathic Recorder, The Advance was one of the few publications that focused on pure homeopathy through cases, principles and provings.

Here is an excerpt from the listing for The Medical Advance found in T.L. Bradford's Homoeopathic Bibliography of the United States:

"With vol. 14, No. 6, Phil. Porter became Gynacological Editor. Dr. Porter published as an appendix to this Journal: The American Homoeopathic Journal of Obstetrics (1885), continuing it through twelve numbers of The Advance.

"With vol. 15, No. 7, H. C. Allen became editor and publisher. With vol. 17 (July, 1886), the issues were enlarged to 96 pages, and six numbers constituted a volume.

"With vol. 20, January, 1888, W. A. Chatterton became business manager and the journal was removed to Chicago. In this volume an appendix on Heart Symptoms, by E. R. Snader, was commenced.

"With vol. 22 The Advance was removed to Ann Arbor, Dr. Allen continuing as the editor. With No. 1 of this volume, a translation of the first volume of Hahnemann's Chronic Diseases was commenced as an appendix.

"It was continued until the December number, vol. 23. In this number was commenced, the first installment of a work on Comparative Materia Medica, by H. C. Allen. This December number, 1889, contains the first part of Lippe's Translation of Hahnemann's Genius of the Homoeopathic Healing Art. It was continued through the June number, 1890. Dr. Allen's Comparative Materia Medica was not continued."