Homeopathy in Cuba
Homeopathy was introduced to Havana in 1842 by Dr. Francisco de P. Escopet from Spain. A journal, La Bandera de la Homeopatia en la Habana, was published in 1856. Twelve graduates - all from the Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia - graduated between 1856 and 1889. In the 1931 Directory there is one doctor listed.
Homeopathy in Cuba all but vanished in the first decades of the 20th century. In 1958 only four physicians listed themselves as homeopaths in Havana. The most frequently used homeopathic drugs were combinations of Humphreys and were prescribed by lay people.
At the beginning of the Revolution, the official belief was that homeopathy wasn't scientific, and it was not recognized. The Cuban Society of Bioenergetic and Natural Medicine, served as a catalyst to have homeopathy incorporated into the National Health System in 1992.
Currently there are more than 300 physicians, 90 pharmacists, 70 dentists, and 100 veterinarians practicing homeopathy. Homeopathy is studied as postgraduate diploma course of 300 elective hours. You must be a physician to have a clinical practice. The country is represented in the LMHI.