Homeopathy in Bulgaria
Homeopathy was brought to Bulgaria by Georgy Mirkovich, MD. Born in a small Bulgarian village in 1828, Dr. Mirkovich graduated as a physician in 1856 from the Medical Faculty of The University of Montpellier in France. During his medical studies he had been trained also as a homeopath. Returning to Bulgaria, he established himself in private practice and joined the National Liberation Movement, for which he was imprisoned and deported by the Turk authorities (1865 -1878).
In 1893 Dr. Mirkovich edited and published the first homeopathic book in the Bulgarian language: Healing at Home with Homeopathy. By that time he was a member of the newly-established Bulgarian Academy of Science.
From 1944 to 1989 homeopathy was strictly prohibited and practitioners prosecuted. Systematic training according to ICCH standards was begun in 1993, in cooperation with the London College of Classical Homeopathy. The Bulgarian Homeopathic Association has 82 members. There are about 100 practicing homeopaths in the country.