Homeopathy in Belgium
The first homeopath was Dr. Pierre Joseph de Moor who began practice at Alost in 1829. In 1832, Dr. Varlez and Dr. Carlier brought homeopathy to Brussels. The earliest journal was published in Brussels in 1856.
Dr. Jahr, fleeing Paris in 1870 during the Franco-German war, settled in Brussels. More than 50 Belgian doctors were educated in homeopathy by Jahr himself. In 1894, 70 doctors officially used homeopathy for their patients and 50 pharmacists were delivering medications to patients. In 1871, a society of homeopathic physicians was established. The "Society Royale Belge d'Homoopathie" (SRBH) is still active today.
In 1926 the "Association Homoopathique Belge" (AHB) was created for legal purposes (the SRBH was created for scientific matters). The AHB published the Belgian Homoeopathic Journal, created the Belgian Homeopathic School and started a Belgian Homeopathic Library. In 1976 this association was replaced by the "Federation Homoopathique Belge" (FHB).
During all this, homeopathic education was only available at the Belgian School in Brussels. Students' numbers were growing so fast different schools were created in different Belgian cities (Gent, Antwerp, Namur, Liege, Huy, Hechtel).
During this period about 50 MDs achieved homeopathic education each year. In 1988 the "Unio Homoeopathica Belgica" (UNIO) was recognized by the Belgian authorities. This professional union defended homeopathy on a political level. Today 300 homeopathic MDs belong to this union and 4,000 MDs (about 10% of all doctors) are prescribing homeopathic medications at least occasionally. One-fourth of the Belgian population uses homeopathy. As of 1998 only MDs could legally practice. The country is represented in the LMHI.