Pierre Schmidt

M.D.

(1894-1987)

Pierre Schmidt

Dr. Schmidt was introduced to the results of homeopathic treatment during the 1918 flu epidemic while living in London. There he met both J. H. Clarke and John Weir.

In 1922 he came to the United States and began his studies with Alonzo Austin and Frederica Gladwin, who had been a pupil of Kent's. He became the first graduate of the American Foundation for Homoeopathy course for doctors. Returning to his native eland he set up practice in Geneva, Switzerland. He was responsible for reintroducing classical homeopathy into Europe, teaching several generations of physicians, including Elizabeth Wright Hubbard.

Dr. Schmidt helped edit the "Final General Repertory" of Kent, and translated the Organon into French. In 1925, he was one of the main founders of the Liga Medicorum Homoeopathic Internationalis (LIGA), an international organization of classical homeopathic physicians. In 1955 he spoke at the Hahnemann Monument in Washington, DC, on the 200th anniversary of Hahnemann's birth.

His laboratory included the latest machine for the making of potencies and his library (3000 + volumes) was one of the rarest homoeopathic collections in the world. Dr Schmidt's efforts highlighted the great changes advocated by Hahnemann in the 6th Edition of the Organon and brought these changes to the attention of the homeopathic community.

Excerpted from:

1. The Faces of Homoeopathy
by Julian Winston
2. American Homeopath
"Guide to Kent's Repertory" 1997
3. The Homoeopathic Recorder
"Editorial>" Vol XLVI No 5 May, 1931
4. AH Grimmer's
The Collected Works
"Other: 50 Millesimal Potencies"